Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Flailing about at Macy's with Kinect for Xbox 360

The Kinect Booth.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to get some "hands-on" time with Kinect. I dragged my wife to Macy's with the intent to see what all the hype was about and I did just that.

The line was not that long but I felt like this was due to improper advertising (or I was just lucky). I felt like a television or newspaper advertisement could have helped more people get out to play with Kinect.

I got my shot after only waiting for about 15 minutes. The game was Kinect Adventures.

I stepped into Microsoft's version of a living room with a random teenager to race against and immediately started moving around to see how Kinect read my movements. It seemed stuttered and laggy but I was not going to pass judgment that quickly. The on screen prompts told us what to do as the event staff also reiterated those points. Did I mention that before I walked into that room, I had no intention of jumping around like a fool?

The race started and as I had already seen the video demo from E3 I was jumping and dodging and all around acting like the damn fool I swore up and down that I would not be. Before I knew it the race was over and I wanted more. I won (am I going to let some teenage snot beat me?) 120 points to 114.

Quite some time after my demo I was still reeling at how much I loved my experience. If I had not had to be somewhere I would have gotten back in line.

No comments: