10. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed – This was a fun enough game that it deserves to be in my top ten. It was the best action Star Wars game that I have ever played and the story could not have been better in my opinion.
9. Too Human – This could have been higher in my top ten if the story parts of the game weren’t so poorly constructed. By no means am I saying that the game itself had a poor story, seeing as I want to see where it goes, but there was so little of it and the cut scenes were almost painful to watch at times because they were so poorly animated and put together. Though it does not really factor in, I am sure anyone who played the game will never forget the death animation. All in all the game was fun to play and when you knew what you were doing you truly felt like a Norse God.
8. Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 – For this game to not be in my ten would be a crime because this is my go to game when I do not know what I want to play. I might see Fallout or Gears of War in my game tray but if I am not feeling up to it Geo Wars is always what is booted up. The six modes that this game has, offers a game play style for any mood you might possibly be in. This is truly one fantastic game.
7. Grand Theft Auto IV – This is one of the games this year that I sunk a lot of my time into. It had a great cohesive whole. If you were to break off pieces you could see the flaws but still as a whole the game accomplished a lot. I had good fun with this game and though everyone is basically saying that this should be in no top ten I obviously disagree. It is not the greatest game ever made but it still does what does the best and I had a lot of fun with it (though I still want Crackdown 2).
6. Braid – Oh the horror, Braid is not even in my top five. It was a fantastic experience but ultimately I did not want to go back to it even though I am sure I forgot how to solve half of the puzzles. When I was playing it I had the greatest time and I thought it was ingenious. I still do. It does not change the fact that I had more fun with those games that are in the top five. Sorry but at least I can say that I am looking forward to Jonathan Blow’s next game.
5. Castle Crashers – Honest Fact: I absolutely love this game but still not as much as the hype had me wanting to. It is honestly the best game aesthetically that I have laid eyes on all year and definitely the most humorous (sorry Penny Arcade). The ending was unbelievably fantastic and it was definitely long enough. What was missing I cannot say but I expected to never want to play any other arcade game… ever and that is not the case. I probably have too high of expectations but I am a Behemoth fanboy and I cannot wait to see some DLC for this game.
4. Fable 2 – Fable 2 fixed all of Fable’s problems and I could probably leave it right there and that would be enough but alas I do have more to say. This game is clever, witty, and has one of the best campaigns in games all year. I love spending time in Albion but not as much as I love spending time in the Wasteland. Oops.
3. Gears of War 2 – This game is not at number three because of its campaign. It is in this spot because after all is said and done this is the game that will probably have the most longevity for me (that and my number one game). It has multiplayer that will undoubtedly be fixed and therefore be played by many for years to come. Millions purchased it so there will always be someone to play with. Oh yeah and horde is f’in delicious.
2. Fallout 3 – I know I have not completed this game but I also know that when I play it, I feel like I am part of this world. I love this game and that is all there needs to be said about that.
1. Left 4 Dead – This game is at number one because it has provided my friends and myself with an experience never had before. I freak out when I play this game and so does everyone around me. My wife plays this game with me. My wife does not play any game with me. There is not enough that I can say about this game other than the fact that I want more. I am not even worried about not having someone to play with in the future because I know I always have a team of four ready to play.
Battlefield: Bad Company
Penny Arcade Adventures
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Games Not Finished/Touched Upon
The World Ends With You –
I know I did not say anything about the other games that were not on my top ten but I do not feel that I had enough time with this game in order to properly judge it. I am sure it would have been in my top ten if I had finished it in time.
Prince of Persia