Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday MUpdate: Video Killed The Blogging Star

When you say "video game," do you ever stop and think about what it is you're saying? Those two words alone mean their own things, but when put together in a sentence, they mean one singular entity. Each piece is key to the existence of this entity, though. You can have a game without having a video, you can have a video without having a game, but if you want to watch something and play it at the exact same time, you need both the video and the game. We here at BGE celebrate the game aspect of video games everyday, but we almost never celebrate the video aspect. It's kind of a shame. Sure, we occasionally share a video in the form of an attached trailer, and Nate posted the first episode of the Guild the other day, but we never have any blogs just celebrating the video only nature of the video game world. Lord knows this is a vast universe in itself, with people all across the globe celebrating their odd love for digital imagery in interactive motion. So, since I didn't play any video games at all this week due to a complete lack of time, I figured I could provide some humorous little videos to occupy my weekly spot here in BGE. So, without further ado, here are a three videos from around the web celebrating what we love about video games.

First, we have a new song by Parry Gripp created for the 1000th episode of Attack Of The Show, starring Olivia Munn in a common problem that we men once faced when we were single.



For those who don't know Parry Gripp, he used to be the lead singer of a band called Nerf Herder (who did the theme song for Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and now he records one ridiculous song a week and posts them on YouTube. He's known for such hits as "Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom," "Spaghetti Cat (I Weep For You)," and "Hamster On A Piano." "Sherman With A Balloon" is also a favorite of mine. And for those who don't know what Attack Of The Show is, I just have to pause and ask, "Are you even a real gamer?" Sure, we don't all watch G4 religiously, but come on. Everyone knows Attack Of The Show. And don't even tell me you've never heard of G4.

Next, we have a VERY weird video that's supposed to celebrate the evolution of video gaming but then... well, it kind of does it's own thing at the end.

Video Games from MUSCLEBEAVER on Vimeo.



I'm not entirely sure how to react to this video. When it starts, it starts off very cool, with a clear tribute to video gaming. But once Lara Croft shows up... well... OK, so of course all us guys at one time during our youth tried to find that "Nude Raider" code/patch on the internet, but this ... this is just odd. I feel like if they had skipped the insane orgy at the end, it would've been a much better video. I still definitely had to post it, though.

And finally, we have the most adorable video ever in the history of ever starring the bane of my existence.



Those who don't know/remember, I recently revisited Mega Man due to Mega Man 9 coming out. I wanted to start out at Mega Man 1 and work my way up to 9. It never happened, mostly due to sheer and utter frustration. That game is one of the most ridiculously tough games I've ever played, and now I remember why I never beat it as a kid. The thing is - I could get all the way up to Wily at the end of Mega Man 1, but then I just couldn't beat him. There's only so many times you can throw your controller in anger before you just give up, you know? Mega Man is the reason I can't have nice things. All that being said, I still adore Mega Man, and that video was adorable.

Stay tuned next week when I bring even more ridiculousness to my weekly column, perhaps in the form of a three-headed golden monster.

No comments: