Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WAIP: November 17, 2009 - The "Look Ma' I Can Update My Blog" Edition

Once you have not been doing something for so long it becomes easy to not get back on the horse and get back to work (in this case we are talking about this very blog).

You would be surprised at what you can accomplish in fifteen days of game playing.

I started it all off with completing the campaign of Uncharted which was absolutely fantastic. It was easily one of the best games I played in terms of immersion and the fact that you always feel like you are inches away from death. I have not played more since I beat it but I easily can look forward to at least one more playthrough before I pick up Uncharted 2. I had not gone for the hardest difficulty initially because of my inexperience with the Playstation controller and I just wanted to enjoy my first experience with the game. I can easily say to anyone that owns a PS3, "If you have not played this game, you are doing your excitement senses a disservice." I only worry that the sequel will not be as good as the first.

The next big gaming event that I partook in was actually an event. I went to the Midnight Launch Party for Modern Warfare 2 in Union Square. I like to involve myself in these major launches because I want to be part of something interesting and exciting in the gaming space (not that the actual games are not exciting). This was an opportunity to play the multiplayer before picking up the game at midnight. It was also an opportunity to win copies of the game and anything that falls in line with that. I actually got my phone laser engraved with Modern Warfare 2 for free so that had me all jazzed up (that and the free Monster Energy Drinks that they were handing out). I played roughly four multiplayer matches (and I say roughly because one was only about half of a match) and was only on the loosing team once. I kept my K/D ratio above one for all but one match (the first one) and overall I have to say that I played fairly well. Here are a few photos from the the outside of the tent (before I was too involved to take any photos inside): The Modern Warfare Launch Night Party

I also worked up the gusto to introduce myself and take a picture with Major Nelson. We chatted about the 360 and achievements and even the PS3. He is a super nice guy and even though my eye looks busted in the picture (I do not know how the picture came out that way) it was a really nice experience.
Picture w/ Major (Larry Hryb)

And since then I have done nothing but play the Modern Warfares. I finished the campaign in one seven and a half hour play session (on release day) which while absolutely enthralling it leaves you emotionally and physically drained (I would say that this was because of the subject matter rather than sitting I one place for that long (and I did get up after each mission)). Since then I have been dedicated to the multiplayer and I have been dabbling in Spec Ops with Jarvis. I have only become annoyed with a ten year old a few times so I am calling myself lucky thus far.

A lot of people feel like the level "No Russian" (the terrorists in the airport) is in poor taste but I feel that it was well done and I feel that it is up to your individual basis on what you will think of it (if you did not already skip it). It is the set-up for the main conflict of the game and without it I feel that the game is less than itself and that is all I have to say about it.

I have not touched Borderlands let alone BrĂ¼tal Legend and my PS3 has basically fallen by the wayside in the wake of MW2.

I did manage to play LittleBigPlanet with my wife last night because I just got a nice shiny new red controller. When we started playing I immediately stuck a sticker to her Sackboy's face not even knowing that I was going to receive a trophy for doing so (a enjoyable little delight). We then proceeded to play through some of the earlier levels and some user created levels based on the subjects of The Nightmare Before Christmas and Doctor Who. Most user created levels are not really that great but I also cannot wrap my head around being able to do something that laborious myself.

We also got our first BluRay that I am excited to watch (but have not watched yet): UP. Star Trek is also on its way to us and you can be assured that I will watch the shit out of those special features as well as the movie itself.

I hope this update was extensive enough but the words do not make up for fifteen days without an update and for that I am sorry.

No comments: