Monday, September 28, 2009

Adventures in Babeland - Weekly Gaming Girl Diary: September 29, 2009

For the past month or so the only games that have really dominated my gaming time have been ones I've been playing on my laptop and one game above all has been taking up all my time. That game is Plants vs. Zombies. Now, I'm sure I've discussed this before, but as I grow older my memory starts to fail and I am far too lazy to go back and read my previous posts, so pardon me for any repetitiveness.

The big accomplishment in gaming this weekend is that I finally beat Plants vs. Zombies adventure mode. Now, one would think after being done with such a feat you would be done with the game entirely, but no. Pop Cap has this amazing ability with their games to create so much more content even past the main mode for the game. I feel like after completely adventure mode I've really only scratched the surface of what this game contains. In the process of beating adventure mode, I unlocked three other modes; mini games, puzzle and survival. Each of the other modes as at least 24 more games to play. That estimate might be off a bit as I'm pulling that number from screen shots in my own head. Needless to say I have hours upon hours left of Plants vs. Zombies playtime.

The best part (or maybe the worst) is the fact that I'm finally accumulating enough money in the game to buy sweet stuff. See, Plants vs. Zombies starts out relatively simple with about 6 slots to place your desired plants in. You use these plants to combat incoming zombies of various different forms. As expected with most games, the zombies you fight start out relatively simple and then get progressively harder as you move along. You also accumulate money throughout the course of the game as it is dropped by random dying zombies. I'm not really sure if it was because I suck or what, but it took quite a while for me to accumulate enough cash to really have a positive effect on my game play. In fact, I didn't really start collecting that amount of cash until I had beat adventure mode. I suppose this is one beef I have with the game. They give you all these sweet prizes and extras to purchase, but you never have enough cash to buy them until you've moved onto the other modes. I would have loved to have more slots for plants when I was fighting the end boss in adventure mode, but alas, I did not have the $10,000 needed. Later on in the game you're even given a "Zen Garden" in which you can grow plants that also give you money. To me, it always feels like an adventure mode is the main component in a game such as this, but after beating it, it feels like it's just the beginning. I suppose I view that entire situation in a sort of neutral way. It's nice to have so much more left to play, but at the same time I would have liked a few extras earlier on.

All in all, I absolutely loved the game. As I stated in previous posts I wasn't sold right away and it took a bit of play time to get me hooked, but once I was hooked that was it. Not only did I get hooked, but I even got my girlfriend interested in it, which is a task in itself considering she does not play video games at all. I would highly, highly, highly suggest anyone and everyone to purchase this game. It brings loads and loads of casual gaming fun.

No comments: